Tuesday, August 12, 2014

One Direction...A Look Back

In honor of the Where We Are Tour coming to my hometown of Philly TOMORROW, I want to take a second to talk about One Direction. Not the biggest boy band on the planet who now sells perfume, makeup, and whatever else management can come up with, but rather these five down to earth weirdos who were thrown together by Simon Cowell and are living the dream.


Who are these guys, really?
Niall Horan, Zayn Malik, Harry Styles, Liam Payne, Louis Tomlinson. Whether you like them and their music or not, these are household names. To me, 1D are not at all what the media and general public make them out to be. Zayn and Louis are not always getting high in public, and Harry is not a womanizer who goes from girl to girl. From endless interviews and appearances, they just seem NICE! I would take Niall home to mom for a homemade Italian dinner in a heartbeat. 

And the obsession begins...
I first fell in love with the band when I heard "What Makes You Beautiful" on the radio. But what made me a true (and slightly obsessed) fan was watching their video diaries on YouTube, which I highly suggest everyone watches below. I would stay up all hours of the night watching the five of them squeeze onto a tiny couch to answer fan questions, and never laughed so hard. They were all that I would talk about, much to the annoyance of my family and friends, and I thought that they were perfect. Being older and wiser, I know that they're human and make mistakes, but never have I felt so strongly about an artist before. 



Forever "My Boys"
Since their video diaries, One Direction has blown up to become worldwide stars. Their faces are on everything, they've had a movie in theaters, and have singing dolls of themselves (three guesses if I have those or not). People who used to make fun of them are jumping on the bandwagon. There's even rumors that they're signed for another few albums, and I can't begin to imagine what their career will be like if they stay this big. Those bandwagon fans only know "Story of My Life" and the stadium tours. True fans know the "boys from the stairs."


No comments:

Post a Comment