Tuesday, August 26, 2014

Echosmith...Truly the "Cool Kids"

So many great bands throughout history have had guys as their lead singer. But you know what really makes a band great and even fiercer? Having a girl as the lead! I mean, just look at Paramore. And what's even better? A band of siblings. Both of these features combined into one is rare, but not impossible. This is where Echosmith comes in. Sydney, Noah, Graham and Jamie Sierota make up this band that has been around for a few years, but just recently broke through the radio airwaves.



They're "Cool Kids"
I first heard of Echosmith on a Friday morning at my internship at the radio station Q102. Two other interns and I were asked if we wanted to sit in on their studio performance because there were empty seats. Obviously, I said yes because I'm always up for a new band. To be honest? I was more than pleasantly surprised. Sydney, the lead girl, was so down to earth as she was interviewed about everything from her brothers being overprotective, to creepy old guys hitting on her after shows. I was also taken aback at their age. Graham, the drummer, is only 15, Sydney is 17, and the other two brothers are 18 and 21. The lyrics and melodies suit not only their age group, including me at 21, but also people way older. Their hit "Cool Kids" can really apply to any age who just wants to feel like they belong.


Slightly Obsessed...
The song that pulled me in completely during their studio session was "Bright" and if I had a boyfriend, this would be "our song" whether he liked it or not. 

"I think you and the moon and Neptune got it right, cause now I'm shining bright, and I get lost in your eyes...tonight..."



Since their performance, I've downloaded the full album, "Talking Dreams" and have listened to it endless times during my endless bus rides to work. Echosmith is relaxing with a slight edge, along with a touch of magic and wonder in their lyrics. Part of my job at the internship is to run the station's Twitter during certain hours, so when I can, I'll tweet about the band and "Cool Kids." And you know what? With each tweet comes more replies, favorites, and just all around excitement about the band. 

Echosmith is blowing up fast and all I can say is thank goodness there were extra seats in the studio that day. When they get even bigger, I can safely say I saw them perform in a room with only 20 other people. 

No comments:

Post a Comment